Thanks to Russ for his advice on the local fishing scene! If you found it useful please feel free to share this interview.

Meet the Fisherman

Russ is Secretary of Dunkeld & Birnam Angling Association and spends a lot of his free time fishing and giving advice about local fishing:

Where do I get a fishing permit?

I’m a volunteer with the Dunkeld & Birnam Angling Association and we’re in charge of permits for trout and grayling fishing locally on the Tay and Braan. You can buy tickets at Birnam village shop or over in the Murthly NISA – they sell permits covering different river stretches. They vary in price from an adult day ticket at £10 to concessions for junior and senior citizens.


For salmon, your starting point is something like to find out the local beats. The main beats in this area are Dalmarnock, Newtyle or Dunkeld House. Check Fishpal or contact them directly for information about booking and costs.


Where should I fish?

This depends on what kind of angling you’re looking for – salmon, trout, big river/small river, still water, lochs etc. The DBAA website will give you information about the rivers for trout and grayling. Sites like Fishpal will give you an overview for salmon and the internet will give loads of further information on other fishing in the area with contact details and information such as maps, directions and parking.


What tackle do I need to bring or use?

It varies enormously depending on what type of fishing and what type of water – you’ll likely require different gear if you’re on the River Braan compared with the Tay. If it’s trout fishing in our area, check out the DBAA website and get in touch through that at



Can I hire gear locally?

If you are salmon fishing or visiting some of the more commercial fisheries then sometimes equipment can be hired from them direct; equally, if taking fishing from one of the bigger estates then again sometimes they may be able to help with the hiring of equipment. Another option may be to arrange your fishing through a local guide. (see below). Locally you could try Kate Fleming’s tackle shop in Blairgowrie who may be able to help with equipment and is also is a fantastic source of local information


Do I need to hire a fishing guide?

For trout fishing you should be able to just explore the rivers yourself although sourcing some local information is useful before setting off and generic information can be found at


Salmon wise, generally a ghillie will be available on most of the salmon beats and they will have intricate knowledge of their beat and will always try their best to get you ‘on the fish’.

< Back to all articles